We all know that sitting for long periods of time isn’t good for us. But what we didn’t know was how bad sitting really is.
With the constant buzz around the media about the dangers of sitting, it’s no wonder why people are exploring their options when it comes to deskwork.
So What’s the Big Deal with Sitting? Why is Sitting Bad for Me?
There are many reasons why sitting for a long time may be detrimental to your health. Here are a few examples of why sitting for a long time is bad for you.
Pronglonged sitting can:
- shorten your hamstrings and hip flexors which can cause low back pain
- lead to poor posture which then can cause pain in your neck or back
- cause strain along your the back side of your neck and cause headaches
- decrease blood flow to and within your limbs
- compress your nerves
- be linked to cancers and diabetes
Here’s a cute 5 minute video by Murat Dalkilinç of the hidden dangers of sitting
What Can I do if I need to sit all day?
1. Change positions often
2. Set an alarm and get up every 30 minutes
3 .Go to the bathroom, drink some water or stretch at your desk
4. Get a motorized standing desk to change from sitting to standing as needed
What are you waiting for?! Get your butt off that chair!